THE MS WELLNESS CENTRE
On December 16, 2016, just one week before Christmas, the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada closed the MS centre located at North Park in Victoria, British Columbia. The centre had been serving the community providing much needed services for over 40 years.
The MS Society of Canada:
- listed our building, a place that many of us called home, for sale;
- discontinued affordable physiotherapy services;
- closed the only MS fitness centre in the country; and
- discontinued or scattered the remaining programs throughout Victoria.
Many of us who live with Multiple Sclerosis every day and used the centre disagreed with the its closure. We see the centre as a vital part of how we remain healthy and manage our disease. The MS Wellness Centre is version 2.0 of what was once very effective in helping us survive Multiple Sclerosis.
- To provide quality of life services to people with MS until they no longer need them.
- To support people with MS in make their own decision about issues that impact their lives and
to encourage others to support them as they make their own choices and set their own goals.
- To promote active participation of people with MS within the larger community.
- Our decisions and actions will be guided by compassion, empathy and respect for people living with Multiple Sclerosis.
OUR GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Our decisions are guided by compassion, empathy and respect for people living with Multiple Sclerosis.
We are part of a larger community and want to actively participate in that community. Including us is to everyone’s benefit.
Quality of Life
We are fully committed to improving the quality of life for all people living with Multiple Sclerosis.
We wish to make our own decisions about things that impact our lives. We encourage others to support us as we make our own choices and set our own goals.
We strive for excellence in all we do.